Good Councillors Guide - 2017 edition
- Good Councillors Guide 2017 (PDF, 927 Kb)
Good Councillors Guide 2017
- Good Councillor's Guide to Finance & Transparency (PDF, 2.9 Mb)
Good Councillor's Guide to Finance & Transparency
- Being a Good Employer (PDF, 1.4 Mb)
This is a revised and updated Good Employer Guide.
- The Good Councillor's Guide to Neighbourhood Planning (PDF, 9.1 Mb)
The Good Councillor's Guide to Neighbourhood Planning
It Takes All Sorts!
- It Takes All Sorts! (PDF, 5.2 Mb)
This booklet, developed by the National Association of Local Councils in conjunction with the Be A Councillor campaign, highlights the experiences of just a few of the many councillors on local councils and serves to show how rewarding representing your community can be. This (second) edition contains six new local councillor case studies. Each councillor gives their reasons for becoming a local councillor in the first place, what motivates them to remain in their community role and what they want to achieve as local councillors in the future.
Power to the People - What are Local Councils?
- Power to the People (PDF, 1018 Kb)
Parish, town, community, neighbourhood and village councils are often referred to as local councils. They are a type of local authority. There are over 9,000 local councils in England. A local council enjoys a wide range of statutory powers related to the provision or support of certain services or facilities which generally benefit the residents who live in its area.
NALC Elections Legal Topic Note
NALC Legal Topic Note 8 - Elections has been updated. The updated LTN 8 confirms the following:
• The key times and dates for candidates between notice of a local election and elections (see para 14 of the updated LTN), following amendments to Local Elections (Parishes and Communities) (England and Wales) Rules 2006 introduced by the Local Elections (Parishes and Communities) (England and Wales) (Amendment) Rules 2014.
• The Electoral Commission's guidance for candidates in relation to the method of delivery for nomination paper and consent to nomination form (see para 19 of the updated LTN).
• The new upper limit in relation to candidate expenditure permitted by s. 76(2) of the Representation of the People Act 1983 (see para 20 of the updated LTN).
- Legal Topic Note 8: Elections (PDF, 149 Kb)
The following information is provided for guidance and frequently asked questions relating to Elections.
- Elections: Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 277 Kb)
- Casual Vacancy and Co-option guidance (MS Word, 46 Kb)
Casual Vacancy and Co-option guidance.
- Casual Vacancy Notice (Word Document, 18 Kb)
Casual Vacancy Notice
- Co-option Vacancy Notice (MS Word, 25 Kb)
Co-option Vacancy Notice.
- Co-option: NALC legal Briefing on co-option (PDF, 96 Kb)
This is a legal briefing provided by NALC on Co-option.