All about the Money!
One of the many Norfolk ALC membership benefits is affordable and easy access to training delivered by experienced and qualified Trainers who have extensive sector experience – so they know the theory and how it plays out in practice. One such Practitioner is Steve Parkinson, a former Town Clerk and accountant with over 30 years' experience, and specialises in Finance and VAT. Here are just three of his upcoming courses.
INTERNAL CONTROLS – a new Steve Parkinson course
This session gives councillors and clerks an understanding of the need for internal controls and how they work, with practical examples and case studies.
- Roles and responsibilities
- Financial risks
- Purpose of internal controls
- Case studies
- Examples of controls
- Review of internal controls
By the end of this course you will:
- Understand the council's and RFO's duties regarding internal control
- Be aware of the purpose of internal controls
- Be able to identify examples of internal controls
- Know when to review internal controls
FINANCE FOR COUNCILLORS – delivered by Steve Parkinson
This session is for councillors only and is designed to give you a greater understanding of your duties with regard to the council's finances.
- Roles and responsibilities
- setting a budget and precept
- Financial control
- The Annual Governance & Accountability Return
- Internal and external audit
- How VAT applies to local councils
By the end of the session you will:
- Understand the council's duties regarding financial management
- Be aware of relevant legislation and sources of guidance
- Be aware of how the council's accounts are prepared and audited
- Recognise the importance of internal controls
- Understand how VAT law applies to your council
INTRODUCTION TO VAT FOR LOCAL COUNCILS – delivered by Steve Parkinson
This session, for clerks, finance staff and councillors who wish to develop their knowledge, explains how VAT affects local councils. Essential for any council contemplating major building projects.
• how VAT law applies to local councils
• where to find the law and guidance
• business and non-business activities
• understanding whether sales are taxable or exempt from VAT
• when a council must register for VAT
• when VAT can be reclaimed
• Partial exemption
• Reclaiming VAT when using grants and donations
By the end of this session you will:
• Know where to find the relevant legislation and guidance
• Understand the key concepts of VAT
• Know when a council can or can't reclaim VAT
• Recognise when a council must register for VAT
• Be aware of activities that require special attention
These courses run on several dates, with places currently available on dates in July. Book early to secure your place on this or any of Steve Parkinson's courses. Your Norfolk ALC membership provides a special rate of just £30 plus VAT.
Posted: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 14:30 by Kevin Bacon